Sunday, December 10, 2006

In with a Bang!

Back when Daniel and I started working on putting together some pages to show people what we were doing with Enlightenment: the devil you know, I tried to put together something full of action that would grab people as an opener to the book. Any of you who have seen our old preview can testify to the fact that it does jump right into the action- so much so, in fact, that it confused as many readers as it hooked. Nobody knew who these people were, why they were doing the things they did, or why anyone should care what happened to them.

For our release with Markosia, we did this as our new first chapter, moving the events of our preview to the second chapter of the graphic novel where, we hope, they will gain new significance.

Writing a second story for Green and Aaron, however, gives me new challanges in regard to the opening. On the one hand, anyone who picks up book 2 because they liked the first one isn't going to want to sit though introductions- they are going to want action. On the other hand, anyone who happens across the second book as a new reader deserves not to get lost in the first dozen pages of it.

I thought about it for a while this week, and I'm hoping I found the Solomon like solution... Hopefully, I won't have to cut the baby in half, either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home