Tuesday, April 10, 2007

A Face in the Crowd

I have alot on my plate creatively right now; That's not a complaint- actually, for me, it's a good thing. I like having more than one project in motion at a time, because I love building details into my work, but quite often things come to me that aren't useful to the task at hand... Having more than one home for those interesting bits means that I don't spend hours obsessing over how this "cool" thought that popped into my head can be used in a story that doesn't need it. I can simply take those little "gems" and fit them into a better home.

That mode of writing, however, has made me think a bit about Voice. I'm finding that the key to dialogue is making each character have their own distinctives- whether it be a choice of words, a syntax or even a weird habit that comes out of left field. I have been working hard on this, and I find myself listening to other people more than ever, with an ear toward what makes their way of speaking dynamic and individual.

Hopefully, I'm getting it right.

Only time will tell...

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm lookin' forward to seeing what you end up with. And I love the pic! (Those are some dry, dry bones you got there, man.)

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home