Sunday, May 27, 2007

Heavy Metal, Pt. 1

Since Daniel and I have been working together, it seems we have always been pitching one idea or another to someone. For some reason, it seems that most of those pitches have been asked for rather than us sending things out to people cold. While that's a nice feeling (who doesn't want to be in demand?), we are finding that a good portion of the pitches we've done have been to people who really don't know what to with what we give them.

It's cool to be cautious about what you want to bring to market, but I as a writer shouldn't have to school people who run companies as to what to do with my stuff.

It's really odd, too, when I find out that some of the people who are making decisions on a daily basis have no taste at all. When I say that, I don't mean that these people have a poor taste in creative projects or that they pick losers because they like stuff contrary to most popular sensibilities; If that were the case, it wouldn't be so bad. I don't fault someone for having an affinity for the esoteric. Ask the owner of my most freqented comic store, and he'll tell you I buy the stuff that nobody else seems to want. But when a person has no definitve point of view on creative matters and no particular things they lean toward, then why on Earth would they think that they should be picking what's good and what isn't?

Most of those people aren't looking for "Good," though.

They are looking for "Hot."

Problem is- of you have no sense of "Good," you are a blind man in the dark looking for "Hot" anyway, because you are looking for an after-the-fact reaction and by that point, things have already begun to change....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home