Wednesday, January 30, 2008

When You've Got it, Flaunt It!

While Daniel and I were at our table on Saturday at the Cactus Con, a boy came up to the table who had to be somewhere in the 7th or 8th grade; He had walked by our table a few times with his friends, each time looking at our display a little more intently...

Finally, he walked up and began asking about the comics we had on display. I rolled into my spiel, telling him all about KING! and Robot 13 and about some of the other art and artbooks we had for sale.

As I was talking to him, he spied our new Robot 13 buttons. He looked at me and smiled, saying " I'll take one of these. How much are they?" I told him they were $1 each and he said "Ok... Hold on a minute..." and he held up a R13 Black & Red button in his one hand while he reached into his pocket with the other, presumably to pull out a dollar. As he fished around in his pocket, his phone went off, so he took that hand out of his pocket and answered it.

As he did this, I looked over and took a peek for a moment at what Daniel was doing, only to notice a moment later that the boy was talking on his phone and had walked down the hall and into the crowd.

At that point I turned to Daniel and asked if the boy had put the button down, or if he had walked away with it- I knew he didn't pay me, but I wasn't sure what he did with the button...

Daniel told me he was too absorbed in drawing sketches- he noticed the boy, but had no idea what had happened.

About an hour later, I decided I needed a soda. I asked Daniel, and he wanted one too, so I walked down the hall to the vending machines. As I made my way down through the crowd of people, I saw the boy again, hanging out with his friends and WEARING the Robot 13 button proudly on his hoodie!

I quietly wandered up to the 2 boys, looked the one in the eye and smiled as I said, "Nice button you have there! Know where I can get one?"

Needless to say the boys ran, and I didn't see them for the rest of the Convention.

I don't know where he is or anything about him, but as long as he buys a copy of the book when it comes out rather than shoplifting it, I'll be happy to know I donated to his fashion accessory collection...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home